Original Founders Photos

Camp Oak Hill History 1948-1988 | Historic Camp Photos

In 1948 Mrs. Irene Walker and Ms. Margaret Richardson realized their dream of owning and operating a summer camp for girls. They ran Camp Oak Hill together from 1948 through the 1960s. After Mrs. Walker passed, Ms. Richardson continued running summer camps until 1988 when, at age 82, she sold Camp Oak Hill to Curt and Judy Ashburn. She generously gave all of her photos and other Camp Oak Hill memorabilia to the Ashburns who are dedicated to preserving the historic legacy of Mrs. Walker and Ms. Richardson.  Below are some original photos of these two remarkable women who founded the first Black female-owned summer camp for girls in the U.S.

Click on any photo below to make it full size and to activate the slider.